- LIME St. Lucia SMTP Blocking - End User Edition
- 2009-09-12 - LIME St. Lucia - Blocks SMTP Communication - Outbound Traffic on Port 25 - Disrupts a Business from Sending E-mail for at Least 1 Week!
On September 15th, 2009, at 10:35 hours AST (Atlantic Standard Time) LIME St. Lucia sent an e-mail to customers titled "FW: Email Experience/Spamming":
- Requesting information on the mail servers used by their business.
- Encouraging those hosting mail servers on-site and using dynamic IP addresses to move to using a static IP address.
- Requesting the information be sent by close of business today (September 15th, 2009).
Clearly they have not accounted for the situation where the clients do not host an on-site mail server (and therefore have no need for a static IP address, a static IP has a monthly recurrent cost) and wish to maintain communication with their 3rd party e-mail service provider!
Consider the scenario where an employee expects to access his e-mail from Microsoft Outlook on his residential LIME-provisioned ADSL connection at his home. This e-mail could be hosted either on his business place's on-site mail server or on that of a 3rd party provider. Let's hope that employee and his technical support / e-mail service providers are aware of the alternative means of regaining productivity!
Where are the Caribbean's Telecommunication Regulatory Authorities and Consumer Commissions on this matter? I know I e-mailed NTRC (http://www.ntrc.org.lc) at email@example.com - e-mail from their web page!
As of September 15th, 2009, 13:20 hrs AST no update was done in the Service Alerts (http://www.time4lime.com/whats_new.jsp?whats_menu=Service_Alerts) or Press Releases (http://www.time4lime.com/whats_new.jsp?whats_menu=Press_Releases) section of the LIME St. Lucia web-site.
By the way, those direct hyper-links above are likely to fail because the web server would NOT know the country context unless chosen from on the LIME Home Page (http://www.time4lime.com). Any further discussion on this is for another blog though. :-)